Boyd (WQOW) – The natural gas leak in Boyd has been contained and residents may return to their homes, according to the Stanley Police Department.
Boyd’s fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D’s Saloon and workers ended up shearing a gas line.
Boyd resident Glenn Vircks lives a block away from the saloon and said he was outside when the gas line was hit.
“I heard the noise, I heard the guy hollering,” Vircks said. “I seen him running across the street. I walked out and he said I’d wish you’d just leave. Go to your house, make sure all the windows and doors are shut and stay there, so I did.”
The population of Boyd is just under 600. Officials said since it is a weekday, fewer people were home. Around 300 people evacuated the village, but some refused.
Luckily nobody was hurt, but Boyd Village President Randy Setzer said it could have been similar to happened in Sun Prairie in July where a gas line break triggered explosions and fires.
Emergency crews are still in the area of Murray Street and Park Street, where the leak originated.
Boyd (WQOW) – The entire village of Boyd is being evacuated because of a gas leak, according to Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk.
Kowalczyk said a 4-inch main is broken. He said about 1/3 of the village has been evacuated as of 10:15, and they are working on evacuating the rest of the village.
The 4K and Headstart in Boyd are canceled for the day. Students are being transported to Stanley Elementary School where they can be picked up by parents.
The sheriff’s office is asking you to avoid the village at this time.
We Energies was on scene as of 10:53 a.m., but gas was still being released at that time.
News 18 has a crew on scene and will bring you the latest details as they become available.