EAU CLAIRE (WQOW) - We try our best to stay warm every winter, but experts say we should be aware of potential fire hazards that come with the season.
In order to help prevent structure fires, Eau Claire Deputy Fire Chief Allyn Bertrang said we should keep debris and other objects several feet away from space heaters, fireplaces, furnaces and baseboard heaters.
Some people have also tried using their oven to stay warm, but Bertrang said not only is it an inefficient way to heat a large space, it's also dangerous and could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Although brush fires are not as common this time of year, Bertrang said we can still help prevent those, too.
"For instance, if someone were to store some Christmas trees in their backyard or some other type of vegetation, as that dries out, that's something that would burn very easily so we'd want to dispose of those things appropriately and just not keep a lot of that around or homes and businesses," Bertrang said.
Bertrang said the number one cause of fires in the U.S. is related to cooking and kitchens.
He advises you not to leave your cooking unattended and do not store things on top of your stove or in your oven.