Skip to Content

How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning this winter

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
MGN_1280x720_50427C00-RKYZW

Eau Claire (WQOW) - Firefighters say it is crucial you have a carbon monoxide detector, especially when we get a lot of snow.

Chippewa Falls Battalion Chief Jason Thom said carbon monoxide can be deadly and it's extremely dangerous because it is odorless. So, without a detector, you wouldn't know it is there.

Thom said after a snowfall you should check your furnace exhaust and make sure it is not impacted with snow.

He said every year the fire department gets carbon monoxide calls.

"If everybody has a detector within their home to get that early warning, hopefully, we can get there and help them before it turns tragic," Thom said.

Thom recommended you have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home.

Shannon Satterlee

Shannon Satterlee joined News 18 in February 2018 as a Multi-Media Journalist.

Skip to content