Skip to Content

How you can replace vital records

(WQOW) – Last week a tornado ripped through Chippewa County, and while homes were destroyed, vital records could have also been swept away or destroyed.

Officials say if you lost your birth certificate, marriage license, death certificate or divorce papers during the storms, you can purchase a new one at the register of deeds office in the county where it originated.

Kathryn Christenson, the Eau Claire County Register of Deeds, said as long as you were born in Wisconsin you can purchase a new birth certificate for $20 at any county seat.

Christenson said if you were born out of state, you can contact the county you were born in and request a new birth certificate.

“We can usually serve somebody within 10 to 15 minutes. There is an application. We have that application online. We have to verify their identity, so a valid driver’s license would either have to come in or a passport or other items,” Christenson said.

Christenson said when you do get your vital records back, it is important to keep them in a safe place where they won’t get lost or destroyed.

If you lost your social security card, you will need to go to the Social Security Administration Officer on Oakwood Hills Parkway in Eau Claire and get a new one.

Shannon Satterlee

Shannon Satterlee joined News 18 in February 2018 as a Multi-Media Journalist.

Skip to content