Skip to Content

On the Clock: What it takes to make the perfect truffle

Eau Claire (WQOW) – Art exists in many forms – a painting, picture and even pottery. A lot of work goes into their creations, but what about art you can eat?

“I always tell people that 90% of the population likes chocolate, the other 10% is lying,” said Rebecca Flynn.

From chef to chocolatier, Flynn has been treating our sweet teeth for 15 years.

“I started cooking and baking at a really early age,” said Flynn. “My mom had gotten sick and I was actually in charge of making the family meals with my little brother and the two of us to this day love to cook.”

Thus, Sweet Driver Chocolates in Eau Claire was born. The space is tucked away in a corner of Artisan Forge Studios on Mondovi Road. The company has a spot to show off the sweet treats and a workshop where the magic happens.

It all begins with a polish. Then, Flynn paints, molds, tempers the chocolate, caps the truffles and taps the candies out of their casing for display.

However, it’s more than what’s on the outside that counts.

“I do a lot of different things with flavors. Because I came from the savory world as a chef before this, I have brought a lot of the flavors and textures of that into my chocolate.”

Flynn has even won awards for some of her truffles, but it’s not an easy ride down candy lane.

“It’s not something that turns out every time,” said Flynn. “We have to work really hard at it.”

That’s because the key ingredient for perfection, is patience.

“I think a lot of people you know when you describe everything that you do, really can appreciate it,”  Flynn said.

You can learn more about Sweet Driver Chocolates on their Facebook page. And if you’d like to get your hands on a truffle in the Chippewa Valley, be sure to check out Sweet Driver Chocolates on Mondovi Road, or head to Just Local Foods or the Volume One Local Store.

Shannon Hoyt

Shannon Hoyt started out as an intern in August 2017, moving to a full-time multi-media journalist and weekend anchor before becoming Daybreak anchor and now our 6 and 10 p.m. co-anchor.

Skip to content