Originally posted October 17, 2018
Barron County (WQOW) – More than 48 hours have passed since the Barron County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call from a residence in Barron – where they would find two people dead and a teenager missing.
Even today, more questions remain than answers, but here is what we do know so far.
Father: James Closs, 56 – Deceased
Mother: Denise Closs, 46 – Deceased
Daughter: Jayme Closs, 13 – Missing (Found on January 10)
Sunday, October 14
Denise & Jayme Closs attend family gathering. James, was at work, according to the Associated Press.
Monday, October 15
12:58 a.m. – Barron Co. receives 911 call from 1268 Hwy. 8. Nobody speaks back to dispatchers.
– Deputies find James and Denise dead from gunshots. Daughter Jayme is missing
– FBI, DCI arrive at home on Highway 8. Search of the area begins
6:56 a.m. – Sheriff’s Dept. puts out notice on social media and to local media of missing teen.
– Sheriff’s Dept. interviews school staff at Riverview Middle School – where Jayme attends.
3:23 p.m. – AMBER Alert is sent out for Jayme.
6:04 p.m. – Updated press release sent out to media identifying deceased parents as James & Denise Closs.
11:52 p.m. – Miami police put out tweet saying Jayme Closs may have been seen at a gas station in Florida.
– Surveillance video shows car with WI plates 160WER at gas station.
Tuesday, October 16
11 a.m. – Sheriff Fitzgerald holds press conference with DCI and FBI
– Sheriff asks community to be on lookout for anything/anyone that seems different
– Fitzgerald says main concern is bringing Jayme home safe
4 p.m. – Sheriff Fitzgerald hosts 2nd press conference of the day.
– Calls Miami tip “not credible.”
– 200+ tips have come in during 36-hour period
– Sheriff says they know who’s phone placed 911 call.
Wednesday, October 17
4 p.m. – Sheriff holds press conference
– Officially rules deaths of James and Denise Closs as homicides
– Said Jayme was home at time of shooting
– Announces search for evidence will take place on Thursday
7 p.m. – Sheriff holds town hall to meet with concerned citizens. This event is not open to the media.
Thursday, October 18
11 a.m. – WI DOJ announces emergency resources will be deployed to Barron schools
2 p.m. – 100 people search for evidence from 1 mile west of Closs home to Turtle Lake city limits
– Nothing of useful evidence is found during search
4 p.m. – Sheriff says in news release 800 tips have come in
Friday, October 19
5 a.m. – FBI puts out missing person poster of Jayme
11:48 a.m. – Sheriff posts update on Facebook
– 1,000 tips have come in
– Announce new email to submit tips – firstname.lastname@example.org
– Pleads with public to look for suspicious actions
Saturday, October 20
11:22 a.m. – Sheriff posts update on Facebook
– Says progress is being made on investigation
– Says he is only source of credible information regarding the case
– Thanks citizens of Barron County for support
Sunday, October 21
4:54 p.m. – Sheriff posts update on Facebook
– Says 1,200 tips have come in – 1,000 have been investigated
– Announces press conference will be held Monday at 4 p.m.
– Jayme is added to FBI’s missing persons list
Monday, October 22
10:42 a.m. – Sheriff asks for 2,000 volunteers to help search on Tuesday
4 p.m. – Sheriff holds press conference in Barron
– Shows 2 vehicles of interest (3rd car shown as they cannot ID 2nd vehicle)
– 1,300 tips have been received
– Reminds public of Tuesday’s search
Tuesday, October 23
9 a.m. – 2,000 people begin search for evidence in Barron County
– No evidence of value found
Wednesday, October 24
4 p.m. – Sheriff holds press conference in Barron County
– Authorities announce $25,000 reward for info leading to Closs’ whereabouts
– Denise’s sister and Jayme’s aunt speak at press conference – beg for the public to keep tips coming
Thursday, October 25
4 p.m. – Sheriff posts update on Facebook
– Says 1740 tips have come in and over 1,400 have been closed
– Closs home released back to family
Friday, October 26
9:58 a.m. – Sheriff’s Office announces reward for info on where Jayme is increases to $50,000 thanks to help from Jennie-O Turkey.
Saturday, October 27
11:17 a.m. – Sheriff says 1,900 tips received so far
1 p.m. – Funeral held for James and Denise Closs at St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Cameron
Sunday, October 28
No update from authorities
Monday, October 29
– Cameron man charged with stealing from Closs home
Tuesday, October 30
No update from authorities
Thursday, January 10, 2019 – Jayme Closs is found alive in Gordon Wisconsin!
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 – Jake Patterson is in court for the first time and he is moved to a different jail because a Closs family member works for Barron Co.
Wednesday, March 27, 2019 – Jake Patterson pleads guilty
– The judge told Patterson he could serve a minimum of 20 years in prison or up to life for each count.
– Patterson became emotional as the charges were read aloud to him by the judge. At one point Patterson struggled to overcome his emotions to say “guilty.”
Friday, May 24, 2019 – Jake Patterson sentenced to life in prison