Eau Claire (WQOW) – ‘Tis the season for fun and games, until someone gets hurt. Eau Claire health experts are sharing some tips to make sure your kids stay safe for Christmas.
Mayo Clinic Health System officials said common injuries can come from holiday decorations. Keep your kids away from sharp objects, which includes tree ornaments, and keep your Christmas tree watered, because the difference between a watered tree and a dry one can be disastrous.
Plants like Poinsettias can be toxic if ingested, but one of the most common injuries Dr. Paul Horvath, emergency physician at Mayo Clinic Health System, sees has to do with what’s under your tree.
“Toys,” Horvath said. “Kids get into small parts and button batteries, and end up eating them, ingesting them, getting hurt on them in other ways. There’s all sorts of possibilities out there.”
Weather is another factor. Horvath said children are more susceptible to hypothermia and frostbite. So, make sure your kids are wearing the appropriate winter gear.
Other tips include not leaving your child alone in a room with a lighted candle or any open flame.
Use power strips with built-in circuit breakers and avoid putting too many plugs into an electrical outlet.
Keep alcohol out of reach of children.
Last but not least, carefully inspect your home and take care of any safety hazards that could endanger your children.