Thanksgiving cooking tips so you don’t end up hosting firefighters on Thursday

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

Eau Claire (WQOW) – Firefighters are called to more home cooking fires on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year. The number of house fires started by cooking equipment triples on Thanksgiving, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Experts advise keeping a lid nearby when cooking in case of fire, so you can smother the flames and prevent further damage to your kitchen. They also suggest keeping any oven mitts or wooden utensils away from your cooking surface to prevent fires, and make sure you’re paying attention while cooking.

Turkey is likely your main dish for Thursday, and some of you may even deep fry it. Jonathan Fike, a culinary instructor at Chippewa Valley Technical College, told News 18 all should go well if you cook cautiously.

“If you want to deep fry a turkey, I would one, recommend that you do it outside, two make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you, preferably one for grease fires or an ABC fire extinguisher,” said Fike. “On top of that, make sure your turkey is completely thawed, like inside and out, and just make sure it’s really well dried before you put it in.”

Fike also said if you do end up with a grease fire, and you’re not comfortable trying to control it yourself, get everyone out and call 911. A charred turkey isn’t the worst outcome.

Samantha Wensel

Samantha Wensel

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Eau Claire
55°
Menomonie
54°
Chetek
57°
Durand
Ladysmith
57°
Neillsville
55°
Rice Lake
New Richmond
Black River Falls
51°
Medford
River Falls
Duluth
65°
Green Bay
55°
La Crosse
61°
Madison
Milwaukee
71°
Twin Cities
65°
Connect with WQOW
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content