Eau Claire (WQOW) – According to the National Fire Protection Association, unattended cooking is the leading cause of most house fires, but it’s possible to prevent them.
Thursday, officials at CVTC’s Fire Safety Center demonstrated what could happen if you don’t properly handle a fire started by burning oil. A technician threw some water on the grease flames, which burst into a dangerous situation.
Officials recommend smothering something like that with a steel lid if it’s safe to do so, and using a fire extinguisher.
“If at any time you feel like it’s not something you can handle, your best bet is to get out as quickly as you can and call 911 from a safe location,” said Chris Turner, lead technician at CVTC’s Fire Safety Center. “Everything in your house can be replaced, but you can’t. It doesn’t take long. It’s literally a matter of seconds from a fire to go from a controlled state to an out of control state.”
Turner also told News 18 turning off the heat source when it’s safe to do so is key to keeping it from reigniting. He also recommended if you have a fire extinguisher in your home, educate yourself on how to use it, so you’re prepared in case you have to.