Judge: Conspiracy charges stand against Chicago officers

CHICAGO (AP) — A judge has refused to dismiss charges against three Chicago police officers accused of participating in a cover-up surrounding the fatal police shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald.

Cook County Judge Domenica Stephenson ruled Monday. The bench trial is scheduled to start Nov. 26.

Officer Thomas Gaffney, former Detective David March and ex-Officer Joseph Walsh have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy, official misconduct and obstruction of justice.

Prosecutors allege the men falsely claimed in their reports that McDonald had battered, assaulted and attacked white police officer Jason Van Dyke, who shot McDonald 16 times in 2014.

A jury last month convicted Van Dyke of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery.

Defense attorneys had attacked the prosecution’s case as a sham and asked that the case be dismissed.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
Menomonie
Chetek
Durand
10°
Ladysmith
10°
Neillsville
Rice Lake
New Richmond
Black River Falls
Medford
River Falls
12°
Duluth
16°
Green Bay
16°
La Crosse
17°
Madison
17°
Milwaukee
22°
Twin Cities
17°
Weather Outlook: Warmer weather on the way, but it won’t last long

Weather Outlook: Warmer weather on the way, but it won’t last long

It will get warmer over the next couple days. Well, at least warming up to near average temperatures. A cold

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

Scroll to top
Skip to content