Trial set to begin in dispute over census citizenship query

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York federal judge is ready to hear evidence from critics of a Commerce Department decision to put a citizenship question on the 2020 Census.

The trial Monday is proceeding on schedule despite the Justice Department’s invitation to the Supreme Court to block it.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman last week harshly criticized the federal government’s efforts to delay or stop the trial.

He called them remarkable given that the federal government insists a speedy resolution of lawsuits is necessary because of the need to finalize census preparations.

The trial stems from lawsuits brought by a dozen states and big cities, among others. They say the citizenship question will discourage immigrants from participating and dilute political representation and funds for states that tend to vote Democratic.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
24°
Menomonie
23°
Chetek
24°
Durand
27°
Ladysmith
24°
Neillsville
29°
Rice Lake
24°
New Richmond
26°
Black River Falls
29°
Medford
23°
River Falls
Duluth
19°
Green Bay
32°
La Crosse
29°
Madison
31°
Milwaukee
34°
Twin Cities
25°
Weather Outlook: Snow tonight, but decent conditions return for hunting this weekend

Weather Outlook: Snow tonight, but decent conditions return for hunting this weekend

Fresh snow ahead for hunters heading into the woods Saturday.

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

Scroll to top
Skip to content