Groundskeeper accepts reduced $78 million Monsanto verdict

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A Northern California groundskeeper says he will accept a judge’s reduced verdict of $78 million against Monsanto after a jury found the company’s weed killer caused his cancer.

DeWayne Johnson’s attorney informed the San Francisco Superior Court on Wednesday.

Johnson could have demanded a new trial after Judge Suzanna Bolanos cut the jury’s original $289 million award.

Monsanto spokesman Daniel Childs did not immediately return a phone call. He previously said the company planned to appeal every adverse verdict. The company is facing 8,000 similar lawsuits across the country.

Johnson’s spokeswoman Robin McCall says his attorney disagrees with the judge’s settlement reduction, but will accept the lower amount in hopes of achieving “a final resolution within his lifetime.”

His doctor testified Johnson has less than three years to live.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
16°
Menomonie
15°
Chetek
16°
Durand
21°
Ladysmith
17°
Neillsville
17°
Rice Lake
New Richmond
19°
Black River Falls
20°
Medford
14°
River Falls
21°
Duluth
16°
Green Bay
23°
La Crosse
23°
Madison
25°
Milwaukee
26°
Twin Cities
21°
Weather Outlook: Another cold day, but a warm-up is near!

Weather Outlook: Another cold day, but a warm-up is near!

The last time Eau Claire observed a near-average day was November 1st.

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

Scroll to top
Skip to content