Official exoneration for man freed last year in 1973 rape

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A legal ordeal that has dragged on for close to half a century is finally over for a man wrongfully convicted in a 1971 rape.

The advocacy group Innocence Project New Orleans said Thursday that prosecutors in Baton Rouge officially dismissed charges against Wilbert Jones in the kidnapping and rape of a nurse at Baton Rouge General Hospital.

Jones was released from the state prison at Angola last November after spending nearly 46 years behind bars. A state judge said that the case against Jones was weak and that evidence favoring his case had been withheld. Louisiana’s Supreme Court refused Monday to revive the case.

The Innocence Project said the victim had told police she was not 100 percent certain when she picked Jones from a lineup months after the crime.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
49°
Menomonie
Chetek
51°
Durand
54°
Ladysmith
49°
Neillsville
45°
Rice Lake
50°
New Richmond
51°
Black River Falls
50°
Medford
46°
River Falls
52°
Duluth
41°
Green Bay
46°
La Crosse
48°
Madison
43°
Milwaukee
49°
Twin Cities
51°
Weather: A strong breeze today will take down some leaves

Weather: A strong breeze today will take down some leaves

Wind gusts around 30 mph are expected in the late morning and afternoon.

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

Scroll to top
Skip to content