Mom charged with torture denied mental health diversion

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California judge has denied a request by a woman charged with the torture and abuse of most of her 13 children to be considered for a mental health diversion program.

The Riverside County District Attorney’s office said Friday that Louise Turpin’s attorney made the request, arguing his client had been diagnosed with histrionic personality disorder.

The office says the judge denied the request, finding Turpin “posed an unreasonable risk to the public.”

Turpin and her husband are charged with the longtime abuse and torture of 12 of their 13 children. They were arrested in January when their daughter escaped from the family’s Perris, California, home and called 911.

A diversion program lets defendants seek mental health services and could lead to the dismissal of criminal charges.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
47°
Menomonie
Chetek
45°
Durand
48°
Ladysmith
43°
Neillsville
45°
Rice Lake
45°
New Richmond
47°
Black River Falls
49°
Medford
40°
River Falls
Duluth
41°
Green Bay
46°
La Crosse
51°
Madison
48°
Milwaukee
50°
Twin Cities
49°
Weather Outlook: 60s and snow in the same week

Weather Outlook: 60s and snow in the same week

There is a reason why fall is called a "transition season."

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

Scroll to top
Skip to content