OAS chief threatens military force against Venezuela

CUCUTA, Colombia (AP) — The head of the Organization of American States has joined President Donald Trump in holding out the threat of a military intervention in Venezuela to restore democracy.

OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro delivered the sharp warning in a visit Friday to Colombia’s border with Venezuela in which he also denounced President Nicolas Maduro*s socialist “dictatorship” for spurring a region-wide migration crisis.

Almagro has been Maduro’s most outspoken critic in Latin America. But until Friday he hadn’t been willing to go as far as Trump, who last year raised the possibility of a “military option” to remove Maduro.

For many in Latin America, the prospect of a military intervention is bound to revive memories of U.S. support for coups and rebellions during the Cold War.

adwpadmin

adwpadmin

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
61°
Menomonie
59°
Chetek
57°
Durand
59°
Ladysmith
Neillsville
61°
Rice Lake
New Richmond
56°
Black River Falls
59°
Medford
60°
River Falls
55°
Duluth
51°
Green Bay
64°
La Crosse
65°
Madison
65°
Milwaukee
66°
Twin Cities
55°
Weather Outlook: Cold front to bring changes to the Chippewa Valley

Weather Outlook: Cold front to bring changes to the Chippewa Valley

The cold front in Minnesota this afternoon will mover through tonight and tomorrow, bringing rain chances and fall like temperatures

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

Scroll to top
Skip to content