Philippines starts massive evacuations as huge typhoon nears

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine officials have begun evacuating thousands of people in the path of the most powerful typhoon this year, closing schools and readying bulldozers for landslides.

Typhoon Mangkhut, considered as the strongest and most massive so far this season, could hit northeastern Cagayan province on Saturday. It was tracked on Thursday about 725 kilometers (450 miles) away in the Pacific with sustained winds of 205 kilometers (127 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 255 kph (158 mph).

Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba tells The Associated Press by telephone that evacuations of residents from risky coastal villages and island municipalities north of the province have started and classes in all levels have been canceled.

Government forces have been placed on full alert.

adwpadmin

adwpadmin

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
47°
Menomonie
50°
Chetek
48°
Durand
52°
Ladysmith
48°
Neillsville
49°
Rice Lake
48°
New Richmond
Black River Falls
49°
Medford
46°
River Falls
Duluth
47°
Green Bay
60°
La Crosse
Madison
Milwaukee
65°
Twin Cities
50°
Weather Outlook: More rain and cooler temperatures are on the way

Weather Outlook: More rain and cooler temperatures are on the way

Another cold front is expected for Thursday, bringing another chance of rain and our coldest air of the season for

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

Scroll to top
Skip to content