Congo opposition figure Bemba warns of ‘chaos’ if vote fraud

BRUSSELS (AP) — A top Congo opposition figure who is barred from December’s presidential election is warning that “chaos” will follow if the vote is not transparent and fair.

Former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba spoke to The Associated Press days before his sentencing at the International Criminal Court after being convicted of interfering with witnesses.

Congo’s electoral commission rejected him as a candidate in the Dec. 23 election, calling the witness interference synonymous with corruption. Bemba accuses both the commission and the Constitutional Court, which last week upheld the decision, of being under “full control” of the government of President Joseph Kabila.

Bemba says he expects Congo’s opposition to rally behind a joint candidate to challenge Kabila’s preferred candidate but does not say who it should be: “I don’t know, frankly.”

adwpadmin

adwpadmin

More News

STORMTRACKER 18 WEATHER
Osseo
58°
Menomonie
57°
Chetek
56°
Durand
57°
Ladysmith
57°
Neillsville
60°
Rice Lake
56°
New Richmond
53°
Black River Falls
57°
Medford
59°
River Falls
52°
Duluth
48°
Green Bay
61°
La Crosse
65°
Madison
65°
Milwaukee
63°
Twin Cities
52°
Weather Outlook: Cold front to bring changes to the Chippewa Valley

Weather Outlook: Cold front to bring changes to the Chippewa Valley

The cold front in Minnesota this afternoon will mover through tonight and tomorrow, bringing rain chances and fall like temperatures

Connect With WQOW
Top Stories

UPDATE: 4 from Loyal, including 3 kids, killed in Apostle Island kayak incident

Sheriff Michael Brennan said Erik Fryman, 39, and his kids 3, 6 and 9-years-old died. The mom, Cari Mews, 29,

NEW: Missing Mondovi man found dead Wednesday afternoon

According to Mondovi Police Chief Colin Severson, the department is looking or Nathan D. Kummer who was reported missing by

UPDATE: Gas leak contained in Boyd

Boyd's fire chief told News 18 crews were digging up a leaking water line at Double D's Saloon and workers

Sex offender faces new charges in Eau Claire

A convicted sex offender living in Eau Claire is charged with two counts of first degree sexual assault of a

UPDATE: Middleton shooter was employee of business where he opened fire

The Middlelton Police department sent a phone message to residents about an active shooter.

Scroll to top
Skip to content