Woman’s death raises concern about Minneapolis homeless camp
(Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com)
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The death of a woman living at a Minneapolis homeless camp is raising fresh concerns about the health of people staying at the growing camp.
Twenty-six-year-old Alissa Rose Skipintheday was found unconscious and not breathing last week near the camp in south Minneapolis. The Star Tribune reports she was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where she died Saturday.
Family members and camp residents say Skipintheday suffered from asthma and did not have her emergency inhaler. She was homeless and had been living at the camp for weeks.
The growing tent city has alarmed health officials and American Indian leaders. About 300 people are living at the site near the Little Earth housing project.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey had pledged to find housing for everyone by the end of September.
SEPT 11-BALD EAGLE LANDING
Bald eagle lands on fire truck during Sept. 11 tribute
COON RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) — A bald eagle has visited a Minnesota tribute marking the 17th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
The national bird landed Tuesday on top of a firefighters’ aerial truck parked on a highway overpass in the northern Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids.
Members of the Andover Fire Department were gathered to pay tribute to the nearly 3,000 people who died in the attacks and to the 9/11 emergency responders.
The Fire Department posted video of the eagle’s landing on its Facebook page. After perching on the basket at the top of the truck, the eagle flew off.
The Star Tribune reports that the unscripted event happened after several firefighters had set up department vehicles on the overpass, posted U.S. flags and draped a banner over the railing reading, “We will never forget.”
ENBRIDGE ENERGY-LINE 3
Minnesota regulators postpone Line 3 meeting after protests
(Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com)
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota regulators have postponed a meeting on Enbridge Energy’s planned Line 3 replacement after protesters disrupted the meeting.
Protests erupted Tuesday as the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission met to discuss whether Enbridge met conditions earlier imposed by the panel.
The PUC approved the project in June, giving Enbridge a green light to replace its aging Line 3 crude oil pipeline across Minnesota.
The Star Tribune reports the protests prompted PUC Chairwoman Nancy Lange to recess the meeting and eventually cancel it.
Enbridge says the conditions are intended to protect Minnesotans and that the protests “crossed the line.”
Line 3 runs from Alberta, Canada, across North Dakota and Minnesota to Enbridge’s terminal in Superior, Wisconsin. Native American and environmental activists contend the new line risks spills in fragile areas.
POST OFFICE REOPENS
Bowlus Post Office to reopen after health-related shutdown
BOWLUS, Minn. (AP) — A post office in central Minnesota is set to reopen after being temporarily shut down due to health and safety concerns from water damage and possible bacterial growth.
The U.S. Postal Service says the Bowlus Post Office will resume operations Wednesday.
The office was temporarily closed earlier this month and has been cleared to reopen.
The building had shown damage to the walls, ceiling, building materials and floor coverings.
ST THOMAS-FRITZ RETIRING
St. Thomas AD Fritz to retire after 52-year run at school
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — University of St. Thomas athletic director Steve Fritz has decided to retire in the spring, ending a 52-year affiliation with the school.
St. Thomas made the announcement on Tuesday about Fritz, who began playing basketball for the Tommies in 1967. He spent nine seasons as an assistant coach before becoming head coach of the program in 1980. His final season on the bench was 2010-11, when the Tommies won the national championship.
As a player, assistant and head coach, Fritz had 829 wins in 1,199 games.
Fritz has been the athletic director since 1992. During his 27 years, St. Thomas teams have won seven NCAA Division III championships and 242 MIAC regular season titles in 21 different sports.
Minnesota crops develop ahead of schedule as fall approaches
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Even as the weather starts to cool, Minnesota’s major crops are developing ahead of schedule.
In its weekly crop progress and condition report for the state, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Tuesday that 17 percent of the corn crop is mature. That’s six days ahead of the average pace. The corn crop is rated 76 percent in good to excellent condition.
Sixty percent of Minnesota’s soybean crop has at least started turning color, and 24 percent of the crop is already dropping leaves, about three days ahead of the five-year average. The condition of the soybean crop improved slightly over the past week to 71 percent good to excellent.
Sugarbeet farmers are preparing to begin harvesting, and 75 percent of the crop is rated in good to excellent condition.
Iraqi man seeks release after long immigration detainment
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — An Iraqi man who allegedly hid his past as a member of an elite Iraqi military force is asking a federal judge in Minnesota to release him after 16 months in immigration custody.
Attorneys for 34-year-old Farass Adnan Ali are challenging what they call his “unreasonable, prolonged” pre-deportation detention. Ali, of Rochester, has been held since his May 2017 arrest.
Immigration authorities say that Ali concealed his service in the Saddam Hussein regime’s elite Republican Guard.
The Star Tribune reports that Ali’s immigration case intersects with an FBI counterterrorism investigation.
Court records show Ali is accused of lying to FBI agents about his social media activity, but he hasn’t been publicly charged. Ali’s Facebook account includes an image of Islamic State militants entering a Libyan city in 2015.
Guilty plea in fatal Minneapolis dispute
(Information from: Minnesota Public Radio News, http://www.mprnews.org)
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minneapolis man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a fatal dispute over stolen property.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says Ernesto Rivera agreed to plead guilty Monday to the lower charge to avoid a possible life sentence. The agreement calls for the 41-year-old Rivera to be sentenced to 37½ years in prison.
Rivera was indicted by a Hennepin County grand jury for first-degree murder in the death of 46-year-old Michael Rekow last September. Minnesota Public Radio News says jury selection was to have started Monday.
Rekow’s girlfriend, who was with him in a car, says Rivera fired at Rekow several times as they tried to drive away from an argument over stolen property.